Friday, March 14, 2014

Skinny Caesar Salad


So if you read my blog at all, you know that I love getting yummy and healthy food ideas off of others' blogs. Well The Healthy Collective (who is also hosting the Squat Challenge that I'm currently rocking) posted a Skinny Caesar Salad Dressing a few months ago, which I happened to stumble upon recently. Hubby and I have a love for caesar salad (anyone remember me gushing about my $16 salmon caesar salad??). 

So this Skinny Caesar Salad Dressing was SUPER easy!

Combine:
1/2 cup Skim Milk
1/3 cup Light Mayo
Juice of 1 lemon
1 pressed clove of Garlic (optional)
A few dashes of Worcestershire Sauce
1 tsp Dijon Mustard
And of course Grated Parmesan Cheese (optional)

I skipped the parm (added it to the top of my salad afterwards), cut down on the lemon juice because hubby is NOT a fan, and rather than a pressed clove of garlic, I just poured in some of the liquid from my jar of minced garlic.

I combined all of the ingredients in a large bowl and used a whisk to mix it to a smooth consistency. At first I thought it was going to be super runny, but it actually thickened up really well as I mixed. I added a ton of lettuce (I had a salad blend in the fridge, but I guess romaine would be the ideal choice), and tossed the salad to evenly coat the leaves with dressing.

Hubby in the meantime had cooked up some shrimp with some cajun powder, so I split the salad into two large bowls, added shrimp on top, and sprinkled with parmesan cheese. 

Hubby thought it wasn't caesar-y enough for him, but I thought it was excellent (obviously, since I'm posting it here). Next time I'd add more of the lemon juice (as the recipe calls for) and use more salad than I did (I was worried about adding too much for the bit of dressing I had, but there was actually plenty to coat, and some left in the bottom of the bowl).

I put it into my fitbit this morning, and no surprise that it was a healthy dinner. Food amounts listed below are for 1/2 recipe, since hubby and I split it.

I think next time I have a craving for a caesar salad, I will DEFINITELY be making my own. I usually have all of this in my kitchen (except lemons, which I need to start buying regularly).

So there's a yummy, healthy, easy recipe for a quick weeknight dinner (could you ask for any more than that?). Try it out and let me know what you think. Caesar-y enough for you, or no?


Have a happy Friday! 


Side note -- Anyone ever head out to pick up lunch with something in particular in mind, only to come back with something completely different? I got lunch at Panera Bread today, planning on some broccoli soup and a salad. Came back with french onion soup and a Mediterranean veggie sandwich. I blame it on the fact that I was craving a healthy loaded salad, and I figured anything that came in a you-pick-two would be disappointing. Of course I am not at all saying Panera's salad choices are sub par, just that I don't think the half-salads compare at all to getting a full one.



Disclaimer: I do not own that caesar salad photo. I just suck at remembering to take photos before devouring awesome meals. This photo belongs to howstuffworks.com at http://recipes.howstuffworks.com/who-invented-caesar-salad.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment