Friday, January 31, 2014

Making Healthy Choices

I'm posting from my phone for the first time, so this will likely be short and sweet. I'm not posting as often as I'd like, but hopefully life will calm down some soon and I'll find more time to write about life.

I'm out at a training all day, and as usual I brought my straw cup with me (3 cups of water) to keep chugging the water throughout the day. I also stopped for my coffee fix on the way (the training was about 40 minutes away so I wanted something for the ride) and packed an apple for layer. Unfortunately, early into the trip I realized I skipped breakfast (uh oh!) and the apple became breakfast. When I got to the training I made sure to fill up on the fruit, but decided to treat myself to a bagel and cream cheese (panera breakfast, yum! Asiago cheese counts as protein, right?). As 10:30 rolled around, I didn't have my packed snack to rely on, or the nuts I wanted to bring from the office, so I went for a half bagel (baddd).

This training is AWESOME. It's being presented by the Upside Down foundation which is an incredible group focusing on brain development and how that impacts childhood and adolescence. The first half was on how child abuse affects the brain and the afternoon is on suicide and brain development.

Aaanddd lunch... so panera catered again (double yum!). I loaded up my plate with fruit, salad, and a pickle spear, then grabbed a bacon turkey bravo and chips. I sat down, looked at my plate, and decided I needed something better. I got up and swapped my sandwich for a Mediterranean veggie. Sat back down, and decided that wasn't enough. Swapped the chips for an apple. And then, I did something I CONSTANTLY struggle with: I didn't finish my food! I ate the fruit, salad, and pickle, and decided I was full. Not full, satisfied. The sandwich and apple are saved for that 2pm slump, when I'll need a healthy boost, and can avoid the siren call of the cookies.

I am DETERMINED to make a change in my life. I'm noticing changes in my cravings (hello, almonds), and it's getting easier to say no to sweets (I've had a dove bar in my desk at work for over a month). I'm hoping the scale and mirror will reflect this soon, but I just keep reminding myself that it's not about the weight, it's about being happy, healthy, and active for AE.

Moral of the day: it's ok to give in and make a "bad" choice when striving to be healthy (bagels...), as long as you don't let it ruin your day. And the brain is incredible!

...so much for short and sweet...

No comments:

Post a Comment